Director of Food and Beverage
Food and Beverage
Responsible for coordinating, supervising and directing all property food and beverage operations, while maintaining a profitable F&B department and high quality products and service levels. He/she is expected to market ideas to promote business; reduce employee turnover; maintain revenue and payroll budgets; and meet budgeted productivity while keeping quality consistently high.
Duties and responsibilities
- Employees must, at all times, be attentive, friendly, helpful, and courteous to all guests, managers, and fellow employees.
- Supervise all F&B personnel.
- Respond to guest complaints in a timely manner.
- Prepare the F&B budget and monitor department performance with respect to the same. Perform any necessary follow-up, including forecasting.
- Monitor industry trends, take appropriate action to maintain competitive and profitable operations.
- Work with other Executive Committee members and keep them informed of F&B issues as they arise.
- Keep immediate supervisor fully informed of all problems or matters requiring his/her attention.
- Coordinate and monitor all phases of Loss Prevention in the F&B department.
- Prepare and submit required reports in a timely manner.
- Organize and conduct department meetings on a regular basis.
- Monitor quality of service and product.
- Cooperate in menu planning and preparation.
- Ensure timely purchase of F&B items, within budget allocation.
- Oversee operations of the employee cafeteria.
- Ensure compliance with all local liquor laws, and health and sanitation regulations.
- Ensure departmental compliance with SOP’s.
- Ensure the training of department heads on SOP’s, report preparation, technical job tasks.
- Attend and/or conduct departmental and hotel training (CARE, One to One), etc.
- Interview candidates for front-of-house F&B positions and follow standards for hiring approvals.
- Conduct and/or attend all required meetings, including pre-convention and post-convention meetings.
- Ensure overall guest satisfaction.
- Attending staff meetings, morning meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Perform all other duties as requested.
This job operates partially in a restaurant setting. Employees may be frequently exposed to a kitchen environment with heat, steam and fire. The noise level in the work environment can be loud. Hazards may include, but are not limited to, cuts, slipping and tripping.
This role also routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Education and/or Professional Certification
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- College degree or course work in related field preferred.
- A combination of education and progressive professional experience totaling 6 years
- F&B preparation techniques
- Health department rules and regulations
- Liquor laws and regulations
- Knowledge of POS Systems
- Must be proficient in Windows, Excel Spreadsheets, and Word Processing
- Must exhibit time management and attention to detail skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively with the public and other team members in verbal and written form
- Ability to work independently
- Follow and enforce all hotel standards
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. This includes nights, weekends & holidays.